Thursday, January 9, 2014

2013 Travels: Amsterdam


I honestly don’t even know where to begin. I guess a start is by saying that the last month has been the best of my entire life - I’ve fallen head over heels in love with so many people and countries! It’s hard to believe my time aboard is almost over.

After leaving Bath, I headed to London for what I thought was going to be a few days rest before I ventured over to Europe. Yea-noooo. I think I dropped my ball game after finishing uni and totally lost the plot with dates. Ended up only having a night in London, before booking a last minute flight to Amsterdam. Here’s some travel advice, DO NOT miss your original transport reservations because it will end up costing you an outrageous amount to rectify.

So our story begins with me hobble-running to Victoria Station in London with 40kg of luggage. All is semi-well. It’s 10am; I have three hours to make my flight, and only two more trains to catch until I’m within the safety of the airport to make my deadline of 6pm in Amsterdam. What could possible go wrong? The tube. The tube with 40kg of luggage and a flustered / hungry woman – sure, everything is cool. Nothing like a little exercise lugging suitcases up and down countless flights of stairs. After just making it onto my first train, I must have been putting out some serious damsel in distress vibes. I cannot begin to thank the man who carried ALL of my luggage from Paddington to Heathrow Express, printed out my ticket and made sure I was settled before leaving. Angel, I tell you!

Made it to Amsterdam, checked into the hotel and headed out to visit the scary Red Light District! When I was in Edinburgh, I made a promise to myself not to sensor sharing (within reason) my travel experiences – and it is for that reason I would like to tell you about how I somehow managed to become apart of a live sex show. Yep, it’s exactly how it sounds. Live – sex – show. I love volunteering. However, the *first* time I got dragged up on stage I didn’t offer, I was chosen. His ‘name’ was The Black Pearl. I’ll leave it up to you to decide why that was his stage name. The poor man had no idea what he had just gotten himself into. Unlike all his previous guests, I was not about to sit there and squeal while he Magic Mike’d me. Moral of the story: The Black Pearl bit off more than he could chew and I made a very strong first impression. Round two involved me volunteering with six other people, having a dance off with a female performer and eating a banana…

If you’re as much as a coffee drinker as I am, you’ll be pleased to know there are heaps of coffee shops in Amsterdam. The only twist is that half of them don’t sell coffee.

Please don’t get the wrong idea about the city, it’s not as ‘corrupt’ as I’ve just painted it to be. I went on a clog making / cheese tasting tour – which believe it or not was awesome – I even got to see a massive bunny!














In closing I totally recommend Amsterdam if you’re up for something a bit different and unconventional. Having an open mind and being up for new experiences will add heaps more fun to your time there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment