Sunday, January 12, 2014

2013 Travels: Berlin


In high school I opted to study drama over history. So going into a city with such rich history seemed to be a bit overwhelming for someone who only knew the basics. If you’re in the same boat as me, I strongly suggest taking walking tours! They’re not expensive - some even free – and usually extremely informative.

I didn’t know what to expect of Berlin, but after a few days there and a lot of reflection, I’m not sure I was really ready for it. The city is magnificent and the people kind, but there is just too much hurt there. Being super sensitive to second-hand emotions, Berlin just made me feel sad and angry. Their wounds are still so fresh and they’re not even close to finish rebuilding from the chaos. To even see some remains of Berlin Wall was incredibly moving, and then to the museum Checkpoint Charlie, people were so desperate to cross. If you get a chance, have a wander through the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe – try to do it alone to really get a sense of what the piece is trying to provoke. Berlin is somewhere I'd definitely go again, but perhaps not for a long while.

P.S. If you're going in winter, I don't think there is any sort of clothing you can wear to protect yourself. You do not know cold until you've been to Berlin in winter.














No comments:

Post a Comment