Monday, January 20, 2014

2013 Travels: Munich // Innsbruck


From Prague to Munich we stopped at Dachau concentration camp. I couldn’t bring myself to even think about taking photos being in such a place. Walking around the grounds seeing the gas chambers and reading about why some of the people were sent there really struck a cord and hit close to home. Would strongly recommend it for really anyone, the experience is extremely sobering. I started to feel guilty for getting cold being covered in layers of winter clothes, when half the men there didn’t even have shoes or a ounce of food in their stomachs. Really reminds you how blessed you are.

Onwards and upwards! Munich! Totally saw the Glockenspiel – completely overrated, much like Amsterdam’s Astronomical Clock. But do it just so you can say you did. The Hofbräuhaus am Platzl in Munich is the place to be. So much beer. The massive glasses you see, they’re called steins. The photos you see with me holding one, an utter lie. Tis only a prop. Will admit, coming from she who doesn’t drink beer, had a sip and it wasn’t too bad - but I stuck to my spezi. Oh oh oh, fun fact: the photos of the roof, do you see the blue and yellow flags? Yeah, they were repainted Swastika’s.


















It’s not uncommon to come and wear traditional lederhosen at the Hofbräuhaus. In fact, was having a drink or two and ran into a local dolled up in his outfit. Decided to nosey on over and ask for a photo, he loved it, and so did the other 15 paparazzi that came out of nowhere – perhaps because I too was embracing the German look?



Total highlight of Munich - ice skating! My skill level would fall under average, still loved it! A special thank you to Jono who ever so kindly took these photos after I shoved my camera into his hands and wished him good luck.








Out of all the places I've been in Germany (Berlin, Munich and Dresden ~there won’t be a post on Dresden~), Munich is by far my favourite. So go and drink steins!



Austria 
On the way to Venice, it seemed only fitting to make a quick side stop in Innsbruck - such a beautiful place to have lunch and a wander around.












No comments:

Post a Comment