Saturday, February 8, 2014

2013 Travels: Lucerne

I think out of all the places I visited in Europe, Lucerne would definitely be in my top three. My photos don’t even do justice to how beautiful the city is. I think also because I’m just in love with Switzerland!

We arrived latish to our hotel - which was half way up an Alp – so all I could see out the window was a few lights of the city and that was it. Rolled over in the morning to have the most spectacular view from bed. It was next to impossible trying to get up and not watch the sunrise, but alas, I had a mountain to explore.
  






If you get a chance, go up Mount Pilatus. The views are insane from up there, and the coffee isn’t too bad either. Switzerland is also a super handy spot to pick up some practical souvenirs *hint hint* a Swiss army knife or treat yourself or others to a watch.







The Lion of Lucerne is probably one of my most favourite pieces of art. It was built to commemorate the Swiss Guards who were massacred in the French Revolution. It means more if you know the entire story, and the details of the piece itself. If you’ve got a spare 10 minutes, read up on it.









Could not have picked a better place to celebrate the New Year! Considering how horribly my year started in 2013 (it’s a funny story now), anything would have been an improvement. In all honesty, I could not have asked for a better night. I may or may not have woken up in jail. But in my defense, it was the old jail that was renovated into a hotel ;-) 

Just be warned that much like Prague, Switzerland has their own currency – the Swiss Franc. Plus they don't have one official language - they have four - French, German, Romansh and Italian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment