Sunday, January 26, 2014

2013 Travels: Rome

Is it only appropriate I’m listening to Morcheeba – Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day? First things first, just as Rome wasn’t built in a day, you definitely cannot see it all in a day! You can spend an entire day lining up to get into the Vatican, then whatever time you have left exploring the inside. There is just so much to do. The Colosseum is a must, as is the Sistine Chapel. Make sure you eat everything too. I am such a pasta person, so the entire time I was in Italy I was in food heaven. Pretty sure I ate pasta and cheese at least twice everyday (FYI "travel weight" is not a myth!). Also, you can totally get away with saying "When in Rome" with everything you do. Just drinking some wine? Well, when in Rome...

Now I feel totally obliged to share my experience with Rome. Please don’t let this taint your opinion or ruin your experience, but just take my advice – be super SUPER careful. As I mentioned in my last post with Venice, you need to be totally aware of yourself and your surroundings at all times. I mean you need to know exactly how your handbag is packed and what’s in your pockets. Because when you’re trying to get on a train and a woman is standing in your way and won’t move and you just get the worst feeling something has happened when you were forced to push past her before the doors close and she jumped off just in time. Yeah, that’s probably because your feeling was right and your bag is now unlocked and open. It’s at that exact moment you thank God you took off your jumper and jammed it on top of your phone, camera and wallet before you got on the train.

I still cannot believe that that happened to me. Utterly flabbergasted. Perhaps that's why when I started writing it came out in second person. Now my story is absolute child’s play to what happened the next morning. It however, is not my story to tell, so please just heed my warning – be careful!




























Next stop involves a lot of wine and cheese. Any guesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment